Are you suffering From Iron deficiency anemia ?
Anaemia is defined as a condition when there are fewer red blood cells than the normal level / or low iron levels in body due to any reason. It is also commonly described as low haemoglobin in the blood. There are 7 types of anaemia that occur in human. Today, I will be discussing the most common anaemia we see in general…
Understanding concept – Human blood is made up of 3 cells:
RBC – Red blood cells are important as they are responsible for carrying oxygen in the body from lungs to all parts of the body.
WBC – White blood cells are vital in protecting body against any infections or pathogens.
PLATELETS – They are important in forming blood clot.
RBC- These are produced in bone marrow of the body and stored in the liver and spleen. They are made up of haemoglobin which is vital for carrying oxygen in the body. Iron and Vitamin B12 are important for forming haemoglobin.
FEELING TIRED – This is one of the most common symptom that you will experience in anaemia. Usually feeling tired all the time no matter what you do in the day.
LETHARGY – Having no energy to perform any household chores, always feel like need an energy boost.
BREATHLESS NESS – Ever felt like losing breath after just taking a small walk! In this case it is always the same.
TINNITUS – Ringing in the ears is another symptom which is not that common.
PALPATATIONS – This is also another symptom seen in anemia but is very uncommon or seen in chronic anemia.
Pregnancy - Pregnancy is a considered as a common cause for causing Iron deficiency anaemia. It is due to more blood needed for growing foetus and the iron we consume may not be sufficient for body.
Heavy Menstruation - Heavy menstruation causes blood loss and iron we consume daily may not be enough.
Bleeding Disorders - Some bleeding diseases like Haemorrhoids, Stomach ulcer etc. cause blood loss.
Absorption Difficulties – In conditions like Celiac diseases, Crohn’s disease there is no proper absorption of iron in body which causes anaemia.
Improper Diet – If you are not eating diet which contains iron you might suffer from anaemia.
Ayurveda and Anaemia
Ayurveda describes a condition called Pandu which resembles anaemia. Ayurveda explains that if you eat unwholesome food, (e.g., red peppers, garlic, onions, alcohol; penetrating, pungent, sour, or salty tastes), animal products, dry vegetables; excess junk food or pastries after an excess of food. The excessed Pitta (blood or haemoglobin by-product) opens the entrances of circulation channels. It then enters these channels and mixes with the blood, circulates throughout the body, and blocks the channels. Pitta then vitiates Kapha, skin, blood, and muscles, causing them to turn yellowish white (most common colour), deep yellow, or green.
Red is good for blood
- Meat – Beef, lamb, pork, kidneys, liver, heart and black pudding.
- Fish and shellfish - sardines, pilchards, crab, anchovies, shrimps and mussels.
- Cereal and cereal products - Bread, Rice Krispies®, corn flakes, Weetabix®, Ready Brek®, Special K®, Shreddies®, bran flakes, Cheerios®, oatcakes and rye crisp spreads.
- Nuts and seeds - Hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, peanuts, pecans, pistcahios, walnuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds and pine nuts.
- Green leafy vegetables - Broccoli, spinach, watercress, kale, beets and bitter melon.
- Fruits – In general all red fruits are good for anaemia like Strawberries, cherries, black grapes, oranges, dates, and pomegranate. 10 berries a day can check your anaemia forever.
- Beans and pulses -Baked beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, black-eyed beans and kidney beans.
- Dried fruit - Raisins, apricots, prunes, currants and figs.
Drink a warm glass of milk by adding a teaspoon of turmeric, saffron and teaspoon of jaggery- drink this every night before going to bed
Chywanprash – an Ayurvedic formulation with 30 natural herbs is highly recommended as the main ingredient in it is Amlaki / Indian gooseberry which has antioxidant, rejuvenating, anti-ageing and revitalising properties.
Dadimadi grita – A medicinal ghee made with pomegranate as a main ingredient is also highly recommended.