Coconut oil is one of the controversial health product in recent ages. Some describe it as super food, some say it is not good for health.There isn't enough evidence to support second theory or first theory. Whether it may not be a super food but it is known to have good health benefits when used in certain conditions in moderate quantities.
It is used in Asian countries like India, Srilanka and China on a daily basis. Today, we would like to take a look at the different health benefits it have on your body.
1.Natural Moisturiser - Ditch those make up removers for coconut oil which not only moisturises and also removes any make up with ease. Coconut oil is used for generations in South Asia for skin and hair due to its natural skin enhancing properties.
2. Dry Skin - Coconut oil is described as gentle skin soother according to ayurveda. It has many benefits when it comes to skin. Regular application can help with dry skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It even helps with itching and redness of the skin.
3. Hair fall - Coconut oil is traditionally used in India for daily application on hair. It helps in reducing dandruff, helps in hairfall and streghtheneing the scalp.
4. Good Fat or Bad Fat! - Coconut oil contains 90% lauric acid which is a saturated fatty acid. Over the decades there are many arguements by health experts, nutritionists to say that saturated fatty acids are bad for health. But, there is no evidence to say that the fats in coconut oil cause any heart disease or are responsible for any coronory conditions.
Contrary to this belief, Saturated fatty acids are believed to increase HDL fats which are good fats, not only that saturated fats are vital for many natural body functions including formation of hormones like testosterone and oestrogen, vital for cell membrane and more. Bottom line is that fats are needed for our body optimum functioning, like any other vital elemest, if taken in excess can have it'e negative effect on body. 3 Tablespoons a day is ideal amount for internal consumption.
5. Emaciation/Malnutrition - Coconut oil is recommended for someone who is trying to gain weight as it contains saturated fats. It helps nourish body tissues due to its natural fat content.
6. Ayurveda's View-According to ayurveda coconut oil has good benfits on health. Ayurveda says that coconut oil is natural aphrodiasiac, natural coolant, favours kapha and decreses Vata and Pitta, useful in nourshing malnourised tissues and in conditions like debility and emaciation.
7. Immunity - Coconut oil contains lauric acid, a saturated fatty acid which has effect on body's immune system. It can improve and enhance immune system ability to fight against the pathogens.
8. Anti microbial - Coconut oil has anti-fungal, anti yeast and anti viral effect on our body. Mixed with other anti-microbial substances like neem can fight against infections.
9. Bone Health -Coconut oil is useful in increasing body's ability to absorb calcium in to the bones.
10. Healthy brain - 90% of our brain is made up of fats which are saturated. Saturated fats are vital for the mainatainence of brain tissue. Coconut oil, can improve brain health due to it's high concentration of Saturated fats.